If you’re not familiar with the Challenge, it’s an awesome diet and exercise program SELF features annually beginning each March that’s fun, customizable and inspiring. Last year, I even lost 21 pounds through the program, and continued to lose more after it was over!
To make sure I don’t undo any of my hard work before June rolls around, I’ll definitely be taking up the Challenge again this year. Here, some of my other tops tips and strategies for losing weight and getting in shape!
· I love to run outdoors, and scorched tons of pounds by running at least three miles five days a week last year. But I also hate cold weather, and the snowy winter months have put a snag in my plans. Instead, I bought a fairly inexpensive manual treadmill for $120 so that I can work out while I watch an hour of TV each night. I also go to a Saturday cardio and toning class, offered for a reasonable price at our community center, and alternate between different workout DVDs, including the tough but effective 30 Day Shred.
· I’m not a morning person in any sense of the word, so I schedule most of my workouts in the evenings and at night. The truth is that if I tried forcing myself to exercise in the morning or during lunch, I know I’d quit, so I instead try to figure out the best time based on my body’s natural rhythm throughout the day.
· As hard as it sometimes is, I stop eating when I’m no longer hungry, rather than waiting until I’m completely full. This takes a ton of willpower, but saves lots of calories!
· If I do the same thing for too long, I get bored. To mix things up, I frequently change the fitness classes I take, and also cross-train by including dance, running and weight exercises that work different muscle groups.
· I’ll exercise by myself if I have to, but I enjoy my workouts much more when I have a buddy to share them with. So, I love that Stephen and I usually go running together. I’m also much more successful if I have a specific goal to train or work toward, such as a 5K race. It literally forces me to get moving!
What workout strategies work best for you? Do you have any specific goals you’d like to reach before the wedding?
(Photo Credits: SELF)